Happy Mid-Autumn Festival and yes fall is here. Seasonal changes are important as the change of daylight and climate can affect your health. As the colours of the leaves change and the weather becomes cooler, you need to turn inward to reflect, reorganize, set boundaries and be prepared for the colder and darker winter to come. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), Fall is associated with the energetic Lung system, which is responsible for breathing, waste elimination, and relates to skin. Thus an imbalance in the lungs can manifest in different ways. Here are 3 common things to watch out for:
- You easily catch colds and flus, experience sore throats:
Lower immunity can lead to colds and flus as the body adapts to seasonal changes. Since the lungs are physically open to the outside environment, extra care and nourishment can help prevent colds, cough, and flu. Immune support through lifestyle and dietary modifications, herbs as well as acupuncture can boost immunity and prevent sickness.
- You have skin issues:
The lungs are responsible for providing moisture and nourishment to the skin according to TCM. Previous skin conditions like eczema, rashes or dryness, particularly on the upper body can be more prevalent in the fall season. Therefore, get support with a naturopathic doctor to alleviate symptoms and prevent future occurrence.
- Your mood changes with the seasons (Seasonal Affective Disorder):
Each organ in TCM is associated with an emotion, the lungs are associated with sadness or grief. You may experience emotional changes and it can be difficult. The change of sunlight will affect your Vitamin D levels as well which will impact your mood. You can feel good through the fall and winter, get the proper support today.
Other key areas to focus on this fall:
- Practice deep breathing regularly to support and nourish the body.
- Dress warmly according to the weather and wear a scarf.
- Apply appropriate skin moisturizers, natural ones like coconut oil works great.
- Eat warm and/or moistening foods: soups, stew, porridge, bone broth, pear, apples apricot, pumpkin, squash, cabbage, spinach, honey, ginger, onion, garlic, cinnamon, walnut, almonds and more…
- Rest and have plenty of sleep.
- Let go of negativity in life!
Feel free to book in with me and take charge of your health today!