Menopause, the permanent end of menstruation and fertility, is a natural biological process, not a medical condition. It usually occurs in a woman’s late-40s to early-50s. Your hormonal changes associated with menopause can lead to a variety of physical and mental symptoms. Menopause is associated with conditions such as osteoporosis, heart disease and weight gain.
Menopause is defined as the time when there has been no menstrual periods for 12 consecutive months and no other biological or physiological cause can be identified. It is important to consult a healthcare professional during both peri-menopause (the onset of menopausal symptoms which can be years) and post-menopause (the period after one year without a menstrual period) for preventive healthcare, as well as care of medical conditions that may occur with such change.
Recognizing symptoms early will enable you to take natural steps to balance your hormones before the menopausal stage. Naturopathic medicine aims to address the root cause of problems and facilitate a smoother transition.
Symptoms associated with perimenopause/menopause may include:
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Vaginal dryness
- Increased abdominal fat
- Hot flashes
- Disruption in sleep
- Mood swings, depression
- Hair and skin changes
Naturopathic therapies will be utilized on an individual basis to support you through this time of change, which may include but not limited to:
- Nutritional counseling: proper balance of micro and macro nutrients, foods higher in phytoestrogens, what to avoid ect.
- Specific nutraceuticals: minerals such as vitamin D3 and magnesium for proper bone health, hormone balancing compounds
- Botanical medicine: herbs high in phytoestrogens, sleep promotion, relaxation
- Acupuncture: address both physical and mental symptoms
- Homeopathy: energetic balance
- Hydrotherapy: support bone density and support weight management
- Detoxification: optimize digestion and metabolism
- Exercise prescription: optimize health and minimize bone loss, excellent for mental health
Both subjective (symptoms) and objective (labs) information can provide guidance on treatment plan. Hormone balancing, adrenal support, and anti-aging protocols are often recommended to empower you through this phase of life. Feel free to book in with me and take charge of your health today!