Our Naturopath Dr.Cen with a great message for today!
Posted by Health Matters Store & Wellness Clinic on Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Bell Let’s Talk Day is January 31, 2018. This is an annual campaign to raise funds for mental health initiatives and to start a conversation about mental health. Mental health is an important part of the overall health status of a person and stigma around mental health topics needs to be addressed. Let’s dive into some basic tips to master your emotions for a meaningful life.
“How emotions are made: the secret life of the brain” is a thought provoking book by Dr. Lisa Feldman Barrett, a neuroscientist and psychologist. She takes on a new perspective on emotions based on research and explains emotions through a constructionist standpoint. Although more research is needed and some interpretations need to be taken with a grain of salt, she provided some useful tips for mastering emotions. Since emotions are constantly being constructed, everything from interoception, affect, body budgets, prediction, prediction error, concepts, and social reality has practical implications for how you can better live your life. The most basic thing you can do to master your emotions is to keep your body budget in good standing. Body budget refers to your brain’s prediction and how the body can cope in the current situation. To master emotions, your body budget must be calibrated to your body’s actual needs. If your body budget gets out of balance, then you’re going to feel unwell and make more negative predictions leading to negative emotions. For example, have you been “hangry”? This is an example of your body budget being out of balance with the situation, and you feel angry because your blood sugar is out of whack not because of the given scenario. Here are some ways to keep your body budget in good shape and naturopathic support is available:
- Eat a healthy diet: Nourish your body and keep your body budget in check. We offer plans, tools, and recipes for optimal nutrition support.
- Get a good night sleep on a regular basis: Sleep optimization is available through individualized protocols.
- Exercise: Guide to a physical activity program that suits your lifestyle and state of health.
- Relaxation: Promote healing and effective calming through stress management support.
- Read more books: Let’s discuss options and improve emotional intelligence.
Bell Let’s Talk Day donations are fully funded by Bell based on engagement by Canadians in the cause. Bell donates 5 cents to Canadian mental health initiatives for each of these interactions on Bell Let’s Talk Day at no extra charge to participants:
- Every text message, mobile and long distance call made by Bell Canada and Bell Aliant customers
- Twitter: Every tweet using #BellLetsTalk and each time you watch the Bell Let’s Talk Day video
- Facebook: Every view of the Bell Let’s Talk Day video at: https://www.facebook.com/BellLetsTalk and use the Bell Let’s Talk Facebook frame
- Instagram: Each time you watch the Bell Let’s Talk Day video
- Snapchat: Each time you watch the Bell Let’s Talk Day video and every use of the Bell Let’s Talk Snapchat filter